Monday 12 February 2007

Taking advantage of a person

I am looking for a job for a while now. Actually I don’t want to go and work, but the disable allowance I get from the council is not enough for the rent. Last few weeks I didn’t even have money to buy a loaf of bread. Today while I was in this Indian shop, the guy at the counter started talking to me because I was crippled. I couldn’t open the door with the clutches so he opened the door and started talking. He asked me what happened and I told him that I had a fall blah blah. This is one of the reasons I don’t like going anywhere, people ask lots of question and look at me in a weird way.

One point he asked me where I work and I told him that I am desperately looking for work and I would do anything. He offered me a job at the counter. I was pleasantly shocked. And he said only 4 hours every morning. So I agreed as its something. As I started praising his good character in my mind, he dropped a big bombshell. He said he can pay me only 3 pounds per hour. Minimum wages in this country is almost 6 pounds. Even at this point I thought what the hell; then I was going to say yes. Then seeing me thinking, he said that I can’t get work with one leg and he is just helping.
I was so angry. How can people take advantage of people like me? Yes it is difficult to get a job with my disability. But the way he said that made me very angry.
I told him that I will think about it and let him know. I was going to tell him off, but I was no mood to fight and argue these days. I am not going to go there again. But now, I think I should have said yes. Because I don’t think I can get a job easily and I am running out of time and money. Unless I manage to sell my car this week, I will not have money next week for my rent.
Just before Christmas I had a job and got paid about £10/hour and now I have to beg guys like this for 3 pounds. I never knew life can change this much in a short period.
I must have done something terrible in my previous life, if I had one. Although I don’t have a job it doesn’t hurt me or upset me. This is nothing compared to losing my Suryan and my parents.
The pain is unbearable.

1 comment:

Keshi said...

Im so sorry to hear that there r selfish and greedy ppl like that ard.

Keshi.