Friday 2 March 2007

Disability……..what disability….

Life sucks these days. Cant even bothered to switch the laptop on and come online these days. I saw someone today, so I felt like writing something about her. I met this lady today in the hospital. She is an Asian lady in her late 30 or early 40. She has lost her fingers and toes while giving birth to her daughter years back. I mean she hasn’t totally lost the fingers and toes but they are very small. She said she had arthritis and after birth she lost so much blood and the fingers and toes started shrinking and lost power. Now those are very tiny and powerless.At first I thought she was born like that.
The reason I am trying to explain is that I want to make a picture of what I saw.
So I started talking to her and she said at one point that she will give me a lift to my place and I agreed for a lift.
When we walked back to the car park I was expecting her husband in the car. But I was shocked when she got into the car driving seat. I could not speak for few minutes in total shock. Anyway once I started talking I asked about her life. She had done this and come up in her life the hard way. She works for the county council as an adviser for family benefits.
When I saw her first I though she would be living inside the house and doing nothing and expecting help from others for everything. But I was wrong. She was totally independent woman. I liked her so much as she talks very straight, I mean very straight and for her courage.
When I see disable people I pity sometimes, but they can do what everyone else does as well. All you want is the confident and trust yourself and have faith in you.
While she was driving (automatic car), she got her handfree kit and she was on the phone to her daughter asking her to wait outside the school for few more minutes so she can pick her up. Then she called her husband to organize something else. I was amazed to see her in total control. One more thing, she drives like mad. I mean very fast but not too dangerous.
The reason I wanted to write this is because I have seen many people who have always have an excuse.
People used to say that if god takes something away (like blind or deaf or dumb) from you, he will give something else. But I disagree with that as I don’t believe in god anymore. But that is possible because of their courage.

No comments: